Smithers Pira’s latest market report, The Future of Global Nonwoven Markets to 2024 forecasts the global consumption of nonwovens to grow from a projected US$46.8 billion in 2019 at an annual rate of 6.7% during 2019-2024 to reach US$64.8 billion in 2024. This reflects confidence that relatively short-term issues such as the China-U.S. trade war, Brexit uncertainties and other global issues affecting economic growth will be resolved (or at least accounted for), and nonwovens will grow at increased rates, especially after 2021.
With shifts in end-use demands increasing across the five years to 2024, The Future of Global Nonwoven Markets to 2024 identifies the following key drivers and trends for the global nonwovens industry today:
- Sustainability: Accelerating demand for sustainability is expected to show to 2024. The growing move to ban plastics in many products strongly favors the use of sustainable nonwovens.
- Regulatory issues: The approval by the EU of its directive on single use plastics, specifically hygiene products and wipes, indicates that the continued movement away from plastics will be a major driver within nonwovens.
- Costs (energy/water/raw materials): A major driver for the growth of nonwovens is their lower cost compared to alternatives. A cost is measured not only in dollars or euros, but also in the consumption of scarce resources, given that water and other raw materials are all under pressure.
- User requirements: Nonwoven materials can deliver performance properties unattainable (economically) by other materials; sometimes pure performance rather than cost or convenience drives this market.
- Retail trends (private label versus brands): Globally, private label, nonwoven products are gradually increasing market share versus branded products, although this varies widely by region and end-use.
The Future of Global Nonwoven Markets to 2024 identifies and quantifies the fastest growing market segments, regions and countries; the markets and regions that are driving growth; and those that are experiencing problems.
Consumption is presented in tons, square meters and value from 2014 to the present and as projected through to 2024. The nonwoven processes that contribute to the global market are defined and their products and capabilities are studied. Sales from 2014 to 2024 are disclosed and projected by process. Key raw materials used in producing global nonwovens are identified, their role within the market is defined and quantified, from 2014 through to 2024.
The Future of Global Nonwoven Markets to 2024 is available for £4,750, US$6,500, 5,250 euro.